The Solid Gold Buddha


The largest Buddha image in the world is located in the Traimit Witthayaram Temple in Bangkok.  Not only is it the largest image it is also the heaviest and, probably, the most valuable weighing in at 5.5 tonnes and made of solid gold. Measuring 12 feet 5 inches in diameter and has a height of 15 feet 9 inches from the base to the crown, this was only discovered in 1955 when the image was being moved to its present location.  The plaster cracked and broke on one of the arms revealing the gold underneath. Subsequent investigation revealed the Buddha in all its glory.  The Buddha Image is in the mara conquering attitude, the typical artistic style of the days when Sukhothai was the capital of Thailand.  Now more than 700 years old, it is a valuable treasure of Thailand and of Buddhism, it was concealed to hide it from the enemy then invading Thailand. Funny how things come together as I did not know at the time that I would be paying a visit to the old city of Sukhothai later in my trip.


Arriving at the 'Wat' was a pleasant surprise after the visit I had made to the previous 'Golden Buddha'.  The temples in this compound revealed a wealth of detail in their ornate construction, carvings and etchings.  I was to discover that, although there are many 'Wats' or temples throughout Thailand, they vary in the richness of the architecture and content and differ subtly from region to region. Eventually changing completely in the North East province. (you will have gathered by now that, as usual, I am writing this retrospectively.  I also realised after about four or five days that I had not changed the date/time settings on  my camera so some of the images are about 7 hours out. I have also discovered that changing regions plays havoc in Google so the blog is set to GMT but using local times - confused I am!)

There is a small entrance fee of about 50 Baht and after climbing the stairs to the top, worthwhile to see the carvings and etchings, I removed my shoes to enter the presence of the Buddha. One must remember always that these are places of worship and not just tourist attractions and, therefore, treated with respect.  After a look around and taking some discrete photographs I retreated to find my shoes and take some panoramic shots before descending in the lift.  One of the few places equipped for the infirm lol.


This had been a very busy day so it was now time for something to eat.  Off we went to a fish restaurant.  Everything is fresh and I was requested to choose my own fish from the tank, paid for by weight.  Somewhat at odds with the surroundings my waitress was a Manchester United supporter but this did not detract from an excellent fresh salad starter and fried snapper with rice.  I hope that you will take the trouble to view the album as there are many photographs, some showing the rather incongruous life of Bangkok, a Buddhist nation which celebrates Christmas.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridge over the River Kwai

Rides, Rafts and Butterflies part 1...

Public Parks and Night Bazaars