Public Parks and Night Bazaars


After a late night returning from Chiang Rai I did not make an early start today deciding to have a wander up what used to be the southern wall of the old city.  In 1296 all traffic would have passed through this gate when travelling to or arriving from the south.  I wandered along the street from my hotel, marvelling at the multitude of businesses conducted from the 'lock ups' along the way, past a school which looks more like a 'Wat' perhaps it was originally?

Then dodging the traffic for a closer look at the moat and the remains of the huge wall which surrounded the original city. There is the equivalent of a 'mile post' set into the wall of the gate with various figures given in 'Thai' script which must have been very important in those days where some rode on carts but most walked. I continued walking along past "Tesco", the local shops were not driven out here, they just set up in front!  Most tourists are busy looking around the centre of the old city and, I think, miss a lot.



I came across a shop where you can purchase everything to offer to the priests in temple or even build your own, next the fire station with its mixture of old and new appliances then into the public park.  This was a haven of tranquillity with a large pigeon population which swoops down and around the inhabitants of the city whilst they perambulate, exercise, or take a leisurely foot massage before stopping for a cake and coffee at the park cafe.

A couple of hours there then back to the hotel to change for my next destination, the walking street and night market.  This astounded me with its size, bustle, aromas, noise and attractions.  It goes for miles! Not just a street as I had expected but small side streets lead hidden markets and bazaars. A veritable 'Aladdin's cave', I shall let the photographs speak for themselves and I only covered a fraction of the total area!


Whilst wandering around, I could have my fill everything from fresh fruit drinks and snacks to a dinner itself, entertained by a live band still celebrating the 'New Year' but there will probably be a different theme next week.  I could purchase all the gifts and souvenirs I could possibly need here, if only I had room in my suitcase.



This photo marks the start of this post
in the 'Chiang Mai' photo album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridge over the River Kwai

Rides, Rafts and Butterflies part 1...

My first look around Chiang Mai